Unfortunately, breast cancer takes away the life of hundreds of thousands of Nigerian women yearly, mostly because women have little knowledge of the most common symptoms of this devastating disease. However, this is not the case only in Nigeria, but throughout the whole world.
Namely, self-examination of breasts is crucial for women because it increases the chances for early detection of symptoms and higher chances for successful treatment.
When the most common symptoms of breast cancer occur, it means that the disease has become fully blown up. Breast cancer has 5 stages before it enters the advanced stage, which is very difficult to treat.
Self examination is checking your breasts while in front of a mirror and looking for potential lumps. If you happen to notice anything unusual about the look or feel of your breasts, you should always consult your physician.
The following 9 symptoms are the most common signs of breast cancer:
- Nipple retraction
- Persistent sores or ulcers on the breasts that won’t go away
- Firm lumps which are usually painless
- Nipple erosion with watery or bloody discharge
- Swelling in the armpit region
- Any kind of changes in the nipples like bended upwards, downwards, or sideways
- Unexplained weight loss, fatigue, and fever
- Constant ache in one area of the breasts
- Rashes on the breasts