Yes, you’re not drinking nail polish but researchers say that at least one chemical ingredient in nail polish will be absorbed by your body.
Duke University and an Environmental Working Group carried out the study and found that the human body can absorb chemicals from nail polish. (1)
Chemical substances like triphenyl phosphate and diphenyl phosphate are found in the human body after 10-14 hours of application. (2)
49 percent of nail polish available in the market includes triphenyl phosphate. Apart from nail polish this ingredient can be found in various daily used products. It was first used in 1910 and international policy forum marked it as safe in 2002.
However, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, advised people to reach physician if the ingredient gets ingested accidentally.
List of Ingredients Found in Conventional Nail Polish
- Camphor – (poisonous, and can cause seizures, irritability and body toxicity)
- Toluene – (cause reproductive harm and dizziness)
- Nitrocellulose – (not “overly toxic” according to EWG, however, it can cause organ system toxicity)
- Parabens – (linked to breast cancer)
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) – (banned in Europe, causes reproductive problems)
- Formaldehyde derivatives (cause allergic reactions, skin irritations, discolouration and loss of nerve sensation)
- Triphenyl phosphate – (reproductive and developmental problems)
- Butyl or ethyl acetate – (highly flammable, as well as toxic when inhaled or ingested)
In 2015 Huffingtonpost.com reported that a nail polish company “Mentality” released a statement on its FB page informing user about the issues with their new chemical ingredient “Arminex”. (3)
Stop applying a polish and let your nails grow naturally.
Though companies claim to be safe, ingredients incorporated in their products can’t be trusted.
However, below given is the list of non-toxic nail polish by Wellnessmama.com
- Scotch Naturals
- Honeybee Gardens
- Piggy Paint