Also known as onychomycosis, toenail fungus is very common. Stats show that about 30 percent of world population is affected with nail fungus.
You’ll experience thick and crumbling nails. Swelling and inflammation is also accompanied on yellow colored toenails.
If you left untreated, fungus can cause your nail to crack, split and even removal of complete nail.
Though there are steroid creams that claim to control toenail fungus, you can opt for home available remedies to treat toenail fungus.
9 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
#1 Apple Cider Vinegar
Acidic nature of ACV prevents spreading of infection causing fungi. Its antibacterial ability helps to thwart bacteria and fungi from your nails.
- Mix equal quantity of ACV and water in a small tub. Soak your affected toenail in the solution for 30 minutes regularly.
- Pat dry using a soft cloth.
#2 Tea Tree Oil
Antiseptic and anti-fungal abilities residing in tea tree essential oil can effectively treat toenail fungus.
- Mix 1 tbsp of olive oil with 1 tbsp of tea tree oil.
- Dip a cotton ball in the oil solution and apply it on toenail.
- After 10-15 minutes, gently scrub on toenails using a toothbrush to shed dead cells.
- Repeat the process twice in a day.
#3 Baking Soda
- In a small tub add four cups of lukewarm water, ½ cup of baking soda, 1/4th cup of hydrogen peroxide, ½ cup of Epsom salt and 1/4th cup of white vinegar.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly and then soak your toenails in the tub for 10 minutes.
- Later pat dry using a soft cloth.
#4 White Vinegar
- To 1 part of white vinegar add 2 parts of warm water.
- Mix thoroughly and then soak your affected toenails in the tub for 10-15 minutes.
- Pat dry with a cloth after that to avoid moisture.
#5 Listerine Mouthwash
It kills bacterial growth.
- Take ½ cup of listerine mouthwash and mix it with ½ cup of white vinegar.
- Soak your feet in the solution and then rinse it off with water after 30 minutes.
#6 Lemon Juice
- Gently rub fresh sliced lemon on toenails and allow it to dry for 20 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can mix olive oil to lemon juice and apply it on toenails before going to bed.
Antifungal ability of garlic will thwart infection causing fungus.
- Mix required amount of garlic oil with white vinegar and apply it on toenails.
- Else, crush garlic and add 1-2 tsp of olive oil to it.
- Apply it on toenail and wrap it with a bandage.
#8 Lavender Oil
- Mix 5 drops of lavender essential oil with equal amount of tea tree oil.
- Using a cotton ball apply the mixed oil on infected nails.
- Allow it to dry for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Repeat this simple process twice or thrice in a day.
#9 Orange Oil
Antifungal properties in orange oil can effectively treat this nail disorder.
- Using a dropper apply orange oil on toenails.
- You can blend grapeseed oil with orange oil to dilute.
- Apply the oil and rinse it off with water after 20-30 minutes.