The irritation of sciatic nerve in our body is certainly unbearable and can be easily passes downwards to your hip and lower back. Well, more than millions of people are experiencing this pain throughout the world.
This nerve is located deep inside the buttock beneath the piriformis muscle, the muscle which connects top of the spine and it’s important to supports outer movement of the hip, upper leg and foot.
That’s the reason, if any constriction and swelling happened to this nerve, it also affects the entire lower body including legs, foots, limbs and hip.
There are many antibiotics to treat this condition; many people opt for natural remedies and drugs like aspirin, acetaminophen, physical therapy and sometimes surgery. Intense pain often treated with anti depressants, pain killers and muscle relaxants.
You can numb your pain with these medications but cannot avoid the irritation caused by it. But, the following 10 piriformis stretches will help you to get rid of irritation caused by sciatica nerve in your hip and lower back.
#1 Standing Piriformis Stretch:
- Stand straight and put your painful leg on the other leg knee.
- Now, lower your hip towards the floor at 45 degree angle, while bending the knee of standing leg lean forward and extend arms to be parallel to the ground.
- Keep your spine straight and hold this position for 30-60 seconds
- Come back to starting position and shift the legs, and repeat it for 4 times.
#2 Outer Hip Piriformis Stretch:
- Lie down on your back and bend the affected leg in upward direction and place the foot close to knee of other leg.
- Now, tuck the foot behind knee of other foot and then twist the leg to the opposite side and face knee to the ground.
- If you are stretching right leg then place the left hand on knee and other hand in the air.
- Slowly lower the other arm to opposite direction of the knee and touch shoulder on the floor.
- Hold this position for 10-20 seconds and switch the legs.
- You are not able to touch the shoulder, then don’t try to achieve it.
#3 Short Adductor Stretch:
- Sit down on the floor and put the feet soles together in front of pelvis.
- Hold the ankles with opposite hands and push downwards to knees and try to touch the floor.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds, if you feel any sort of pain release it immediately.
- Flutter like butterfly, the legs and hold this position for 30 seconds
#4 Long Adductor Stretch:
- Sit on the ground and stretch your legs as long as possible.
- Gently tilt the torso and place your hands on the ground side by side together.
- Lean forward and try to touch the floor with your elbows.
- Hold this position for 20 seconds and get back to the starting point.
- If you feel pain then immediately stop doing this and slowly try it for other time.
#5 Hip Extension Exercise:
- Kneel down on the floor and place your hands in a lining position with your shoulders.
- Now, raise your affected leg by bending the knee.
- Slowly lower the leg but without touching the floor.
- Repeat this for 10-15 times.
#6 Side Lying Calm Exercise:
- Lie on one side by keeping the affected leg facing upwards.
- Bend your legs backwards to form the shape of letter L, remember one foot ought to stay on top of the other and legs need to be aligned with each other.
- Now, lift the top knee upward and slowly return back, do it 15 repetitions.
#7 Seated Stretch:
- Sit in a comfortable chair by placing the affected leg on top of other legs knee.
- The chest should be bend and forth forward a little and hold this position for couple of breaths.
- Try to bent little more and hold this position for another half minute.
- Repeat it by shifting legs.
#8 Buttock Stretch:
- Place your hands and knees on the floor and bring affected leg foot under the trunk and twist to opposite side.
- Lower your head by pointing the knee towards shoulder and touch the floor with your forehead.
- Take the support of your forearms by placing them on the floor.
- By keeping your pelvis straight, stretch leg that is not affected behind you.
- Push the hips to the floor and hold it for 30 seconds.
- Repeat this for 3-4 times.
#9 Supine Piriformis Stretch:
- Lie on the ground and bend knees in upward and cross the affected leg over other leg.
- Bend it forward towards the chest and grab the knee with other hand and ankle with the other hand.
- Pull it towards the shoulder, so that you feel the stretch, hold this position for 30 seconds and then repeat.
#10 Supine Piriformis Side Stretch:
- Lie on the floor by keeping your back straight and legs flat.
- Bend your knee of the affected leg with opposite hand across the midline until you feel the stretch.
- Do not lift your hip and shoulders off the floor, hold this position for thirty seconds and switch legs.
- Repeat it for two to three times.