Our skin tends to get rough and dull with growing age. Several factors such as improper usage of skincare products, exposure to sun, inadequate water consumption, binge eating of unhealthy fried snacks and pollution can make our skin become lacklustre.
Although you can readily visit the salon for counteracting the same, it is advisable to try out home remedies using pure and natural ingredients.
Today, we are going to talk about a popular pantry ingredient – tomato, which has been accredited for its skin whitening benefits. Legendary beauty legend Sophia Loren often resorted to this miracle fruit for ensuring her flawless beauty.
Benefits of Tomato for Your Skin
- Our skin gets moisturized and hydrated through the potassium content of tomatoes.
- Its natural acid reduces the excess production of oil.
- Tomato is rich in Vitamin A which can reduce blemishes and dark spots.
- Its cooling properties can help in soothing sun burns.
- Vitamin B content reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by encouraging the production of new and healthy cells.
- Large pores get tightened by the astringent properties of tomato.
- Calcium content of tomato assists in healing flaky and dry skin.
- Can slow down the aging process by helping our skin breathe in oxygen.
- Tomato can accentuate the synthesis of collagen inside our body thus maintaining skin elasticity with its high Vitamin C content.
- Lycopene found in tomato can render adequate protection to your skin from the harmful UV rays which are infamous for causing skin cancer.
How to Use Tomato Face Mask for Skin Whitening?
#1 Lemon Juice & Tomato
The natural acid content of lemon and tomato renders a sour taste to the same. You can mix up both these ingredients for lightening and brightening up your skin coupled with their natural bleaching properties. A few drops of fresh lemon juice shall have to be mixed with a tablespoon of tomato juice and applied on the affected area.
This pack will have to be kept on for about 15 minutes before being rinsed with lukewarm water and cold water subsequently. This entire process should be followed thrice a week for that natural glow.
#2 Avocado & Tomato
You can unleash that hidden glow by blending 1 avocado and 1 tomato pulp until it mixes up to form a thick paste. This mixture, which is ideal for combination skin needs to be kept on for 20 minutes before being washed using lukewarm and cold water one after another.
Avocado is rich in Vitamin C and E which can keep your skin hydrated, nourished and bright at all times. You can also balance your skin’s oil secretion and regulate the essential nutrients with regular application of this mixture.
#3 Olive Oil & Tomato
- Mix up one teaspoon of olive oil with fresh tomato pulp for that alluring glow which had been hiding under layers of pollutants, contaminants and impurities.
- The mixture has to be applied on the dark patches of your skin and left on for 15 minutes.
- Next it will have to be washed off with lukewarm and cold water subsequently.
It is advisable to repeat this whole process thrice a week for best results. Olive oil can restore the moisture level of your skin for imparting that radiant look.
#4 Buttermilk & Tomato
- You can mix four tablespoons of buttermilk with two teaspoons of tomato juice freshly squeezed out of a ripe tomato for creating a versatile mix which can help with skin whitening.
- This mixture needs to be applied using a cotton ball over the tanned area and left on for half an hour.
- You can use cold water for washing it off after which the affected area should be dried using a clean towel.
- This face mask should be applied thrice a week for best results.
#5 Cucumber & Tomato
The astringent properties of tomato and cucumber can prove to be exceptionally helpful in lightening skin and tightening large open pores. For this, you will be required to blend ¼ peeled cucumber with ½ ripe tomato.
This mixture should be gently applied over the skin and left on for 15 minutes. Cold water can be used for rinsing off the mixture to reveal that hidden glow. This skin lightening process can be accentuated by following up the same diligently thrice a week.
#6 Potato & Tomato
A clear skin tone can make your skin radiate magnificently. You can attain the same by applying a mixture of 2 tablespoons each of potato and tomato juice. This mixture should be allowed a resting time of 15 minutes over the skin before being rinsed off with cold water.
This should be applied after coming back home following sun exposure. Although in certain cases, you might experience initial skin irritations, this will subside over time. This versatile mixture should be applied once daily for completely removing the tan layer from your skin.
It is always advisable to opt for fresh tomato juice in the place of bottled ones for best results. You can also go ahead with ripe tomatoes rather than the sun dried or green ones. Application of sunscreen prior to going out and maintaining a stress-free life can further accentuate the skin whitening process.