White teeth have for long been associated with smartness and beauty among both the genders. Following poor dental hygiene and gorging on caffeine as well as carbonated drinks can cause your teeth to turn yellow over time.
The market is filled with specialized toothpaste which claim to help out in this regard. But you will rarely feel satisfied using the same.
There also lies an option of using dental whitening strips. But they are infamous for damaging our enamels. In such a scenario, Hydrogen Peroxide can come to your rescue by thoroughly cleansing your mouth and making your teeth whiter at just a fraction of the cost.
The hydrogen peroxide bottles sold at groceries are usually diluted to about 3%. On the other hand, the hydrogen peroxide content in commercial products like whitening toothpaste is around 10% or even more. Scientists however vouch for the first option as concentrated hydrogen peroxide can actually damage your enamel.
Benefits Of Using Hydrogen Peroxide
- Soothes dry skin.
- Helps in getting rid of acne.
- Eases sore throat.
- Disinfects and cleans minor cuts.
- Kills unhealthy bacteria and organisms which cause bad breath.
- Cures shallow ulcers developing in the mouth.
- Manages various symptoms of flu and common cold.
- Antifungal properties battle the burning and itching sensation which linger in the aftermath of foot fungus and athlete’s foot.
- Kills bacteria which cause ear infections.
- Antibacterial properties help in treating sinus infections by killing off the bacteria.
- Can be used in association with olive oil to flush out ear wax.
- A detoxifying bath of hydrogen peroxide can treat all forms of infections plaguing the lower part of your body like STDs.
- Can be applied on underarms along with dish soap for acting as an effective deodorant.
- Cleans the protein build-up of contact lenses in a quick and less expensive manner.
- Sanitizes your toothbrush from a plethora of bacteria such as E. coli and staphylococci.
- Lightens your nails to make them brighter.
- Acts as a disinfecting agent in home cleaning chores.
- Hydrogen Peroxide can soften the calluses and corns in your foot which otherwise make it painful to move around.
How To Use Hydrogen Peroxide In Tooth Whitening
- You can gargle with a mixture of 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to whiten your teeth.
- This mixture needs to be swished inside your mouth over a span of around 2-3 minutes before being spit out.
Finally, you should rinse your mouth using plain water. This should be repeated around two to three times a week for freeing your oral cavity from all harmful bacteria and lightening up the yellow stains.
- You can dip a cotton swab in a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution and rub it on your teeth. This needs to be left on for about a minute before rinsing off your mouth using water.
- You can repeat this remedy two to three times weekly for quick results.
This alternative method can prove to be helpful if you are not in favour of swishing the solution in your mouth.
It also employs the same cleaning and lightening properties of Hydrogen Peroxide although it is not as effective as the former method in removing teeth stains.
- A paste having medium consistency can be prepared by mixing 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution to 1 teaspoon of baking soda. You can brush your teeth with this DIY toothpaste twice a week.
This mixture acts as an abrasive agent which is infused with teeth whitening properties. The coarse baking soda breaks down the yellow teeth stains and make them shine magnificently.
- You can also mix equal amount of Hydrogen Peroxide and Listerine mouthwash and rinse your mouth with the same.
- However, it is imperative to follow up the same with clean water to complete your dental hygiene routine.
You can replace your usual mouthwash with this mixture and use the same thrice a week. While Listerine cleans out your oral cavity, Hydrogen Peroxide whitens your teeth by killing all harmful bacteria.
- You can add some drops of Hydrogen Peroxide and lemon juice to baking soda and apply this paste on your teeth.
- It should be left on for about a minute or two before washing off your mouth thoroughly using water.
This remedy can be followed up to a maximum of three times a week. Lemon juice here acts as a natural bleaching agent for removing all yellow stains from your teeth for whitening them.
- The last remedy in our list suggests at mixing salt with hydrogen peroxide for teeth whitening.
- For this, you will have to mix 1 tablespoon salt with 2 tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide and brush this paste against your teeth using either your fingertip or a tooth brush.
You need to keep on massaging the same for about 2 minutes before rinsing off your mouth. This process can be repeated twice a week to restore the natural whiteness of your teeth by dislodging the yellow layer of stain.
Hydrogen Peroxide has been used for long as a disinfectant and antiseptic. This chemical lightening agent whitens teeth by removing all sorts of build-up. Its antimicrobial properties also benefit people suffering from oral ailments such as gingivitis, plaque and bleeding gums.
However, you should consider the product label and concentration amount before using it in your dental hygiene routine.
It is imperative to note here that continuous use of Hydrogen Peroxide can inflict harm on your teeth. Also, it needs to be refrigerated post purchase for retaining its stabilized form.