With a plethora of available information concerning diet and cancer, it becomes difficult to separate the myths from established facts. The alkaline diet has gained paramount importance off late for treating cancer conditions by boosting up our nutritional meter.
People primarily get confused while distinguishing between acidic and alkaline food. Various food items such as limes and lemons are acidic in its natural state.
However, they change over to an alkaline state after being metabolized by our body. Thus, although lemon is considered to have an acidic effect, it actually acts as an alkalizing agent.
You can easily test the pH levels of your body with pH strips at the privacy of your house. It is also advisable to conduct this test either two hours after the meal or one hour before the same. A pH level of 7.0 or higher is considered optimal for your holistic wellness.
What Is Alkaline Diet?
This diet draws inspiration from a popular theory which hints at changing the acid levels of our body by consuming certain foods. Medical experts hold the view that changing levels of pH in our body can assist in cancer prevention. Various studies have hinted at the growth of cancer cells in acidic environments.
This is the main reason behind the popularity of alkaline diet in modern times. However, it is imperative to note here that such studies cannot be considered as a representative of the complex nature of tumours.
Maintaining an optimum alkaline environment in our body becomes increasingly difficult in modern times. The main reason behind this is our consumption of unhealthy foods having high content of toxins and chemicals. Fast food and microwave meals have also been deemed dangerous by medical experts for health reasons.
Tips Of Maintaining An Alkaline Diet
- Organic leafy green vegetables need to form an important part of your alkaline diet. You can thus consume cabbages, cauliflower, herbs and spices, broccoli, beans, root vegetables, lentils and peas, nuts and seeds, onions, leek and chives, garlic apart from non-gluten grains like rice in moderate amounts.
- Unlimited consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables is also allowed along with 2-4 ounces of organic poultry, grass-fed meat and clean fish a few times in the week.
- A study conducted by Prof. T. Colin Campbell of Cornell University revealed that dairy is one of the highest cancer-causing food given its high protein content. Dairy products are infamous for causing inflammation with their high acid production. They also support cancer proliferation and trigger bone deterioration.
- Compared to healthy cells, cancer ones use more glucose per unit. This is why it becomes imperative to avoid sugar at all cost. Sugar also supports the growth of cancer by reducing the magnesium content in our body.
Natural sugars such as honey and agave can also worsen your condition and hence need to be eliminated from your diet. As an alternative, you can consume figs, unsweetened apple sauce, fresh pineapple or dried apricots.
- Inflammation can be caused by glutinous grains such as gluten. High-gluten grains like that of wheat, rye, pasta, whole grains, cereals, bread, cakes, cookies, crackers, muffins and similar baked goods should not be consumed in such a scenario.
They can however be replaced by non-gluten grains like buckwheat, quinoa and amaranth. Products which are specifically earmarked as “gluten free” should also be avoided as they have high quantum of processed oils and added sugars.
Medical professionals and natural healers share a general agreement pertaining to the role of a person’s diet in his cancer diagnosis. The aim of an alkaline diet among cancer affected people is to strike the right cord of harmony between alkaline and acid-forming foods.
The alkaline diet has been accredited with reducing the strain on our body’s acid-detoxification system to a great extent. It is based primarily on plant-based food and avoids excess consumption of fruits, wheat, sugar and diary. It even emphasizes the consumption of cruciferous vegetables and greens.
Such a form of diet can usher in significant alterations in the intracellular pH level of our body for reaching the ideal blood pH of 7.3/7.41.
This is considered to be a key component for accelerating our metabolic drive and in turn our longevity. An alkaline diet makes the environment difficult for cancer proliferation while supporting the healthy cells of our body.