Our face remains our primary point of concern whenever we visit a salon. This however causes us to neglect our neck which just gets duller and more pigmented over time. Going to work on a daily basis also exposes our neck to harmful environmental radicals as dirt and pollutants tend to accumulate around the same.
Although our hectic lifestyle doesn’t leave us with much time for self-care, the maximum we can manage is cleansing or scrubbing our neck and face together. But in this process, we completely forget to moisturize the same. This in turn leads to wrinkles, dark patches and similar other blemishes.
Today we are going to take a look at some common methods of dealing with dark skin of the neck. However, first we will discuss about the causes behind the same.
What Causes Of Dark Neck?
- Poor personal hygiene
- Environmental pollutants
- Obesity or diabetes
- Prolonged exposure to sun
- Harsh chemicals present in skin care products and cosmetics
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Neck Skin
- You will firstly have to clean your neck using soap and pat it dry. Next you will have to massage your neck using coconut or almond oil. You can even add a few drops of tea tree oil to the carrier oil for better results.
- You will have to keep on massaging the oil for about 10-15 minutes before rinsing it off using lukewarm water. You can follow this remedy on a daily basis to benefit out of the rich Vitamin E content in almond oil. This can rejuvenate your skin over time.
- Its sclerosant properties act as a bleaching agent and improves skin tone as well as complexion. Tea tree oil on the other hand improves blood circulation and heals scars as well as blemishes.
- Next comes a homemade serum prepared by mixing equal proportions of olive oil and lemon juice. You need to apply this serum regularly prior to bedtime for a month to see astounding skin lightening results.
- The natural bleaching ability of lemon can brighten your complexion and even shrink pores over time. Olive oil on the other hand can hydrate and soften your neck skin.
Apple cider vinegar can work like magic on dark neck. For this, you will be required to mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 4 tablespoons of water and apply it on your neck using a cotton ball.
This solution needs to be left on for about 10 minutes before being rinsed off using water. You need to repeat this every alternate day for being benefited with best results.
- Apple cider vinegar can balance out the pH level of your skin and impart a natural glow. Its exfoliating action tends to remove the dead skin cells which accumulate over time and make you look dull and dark.
- However, apple cider vinegar is infamous for dehydrating your skin. You should thus follow it up with thorough moisturisation for best results.
- Mixing 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda with water and applying the paste over your darkened skin can produce visible results within a week. All you need to do is generously apply this paste over your affected region and let it dry before scrubbing it off using your wet fingers.
Finally, you will have to rinse the area using clean water and pat it dry before moisturizing your neck. This pack can be of great help in removing dead and dull skin from your neck. Blood circulation also improves with application of baking soda as it nourishes your skin from inside.
Oats tend to cleanse and moisturize our skin simultaneously. You can make a home pack by mixing 1 tablespoon of tomato juice and ¼ cup oats in olive oil or rose water to form a thick paste.
- This mixture needs to be evenly applied all over your neck and left on for 20 minutes before scrubbing it off and washing it with cold water. You need to follow this process between two to three times a week for best results.
- It is imperative to note here that grinding the oats to form a fine paste might cause its exfoliating properties to be lost.
- Aloe Vera can lighten dark skin of your neck with its Aloesin compound which inhibits the activity of pigmentation causing enzyme secreted in your skin. For this, you will have to cut open the leaf for extracting its gel and scrub your neck using the same.
- This should be left on for about 10 minutes before being rinsed off using water. Aloe Vera is rich in essential vitamins, fatty acids and minerals. It can thus can keep our skin nourished and hydrated optimally.
Yogurt contains natural enzymes as well as healthy fats which tend to nourish your skin and smoothen it up over time. You can make a home pack by mixing 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1-2 tablespoons of yogurt.
This mixture should be applied over the darkened portions of your neck and left on for 20 minutes before being rinsed off using water.
In spite of all this, caring for your neck is of primary importance. Following the home remedies mentioned above can be of great help in establishing a proper neck care routine.