Many of you may be thinking, why there is an entire section dedicated to sexual well- being? Well… The short answer: Because its good for you, and it feels great too! So here I’m going to list 16 really good benefits of having sex and achieving orgasm. Some of these, you may have already heard of… Some are a little interesting… And some of them will make some of you downright upset with me for posting them. But if I neglected to mention them, I would be doing you a disservice. So let’s get to it!
1. Sex burns calories! Yesss! Sex can burn 3-5 calories per minute. So a good half an hour of good sex could easily burn about 100 calories. Now granted you could walk 20 minutes on a treadmill and burn the same amount. But let’s face it. That’s just nowhere near as fun. Plus you get the added bonus of a good stretch because hopefully you are exploring different positions and using a lot more muscles.
2. Sex strengthens your bones. I know right. Bones! . Who knew!?! Having regular sex raises estrogen levels in women and testosterone levels in men. Both of these hormones can provide some protection against osteoporosis, as they stop the thinning of bone.
3. For men, sex lowers the risk of prostate cancer. How?… Well, sex cleanses the prostate of toxins that can lead to cancer. And men don’t even have tohave sex for this benefit. It can be helpful during ejaculation also.
4. Intercourse raises the levels of immunoglobulins in the body if done at least 1-2 per week. This helps the body’s immune system fight off colds and other illnesses. (It Is getting cold out… Just sayin’)
5. Sex also fights against disease by keeping the levels of estrogen and testosterone in balance.
6. Sexual intercourse is linked to better stress response and lower blood pressure. In men, high blood pressure could lead to erectile dysfunction, and in women, it could lead to a lower libido.
7. Intercourse reduces depression. Studies show that contact with semen during “the do” can act as an antidepressant for women. (I think men got the jump on us for this one ladies)
8. Sex reduces stress. It triggers the release of natural “feel good” chemicals (serotonin) in your body to ease stress, leaving you with a feeling of pleasure and calm.
9. Intercourse improves bladder control. It is predicted that almost 1/3 of women will experience bladder incontinence at some point in their lives. Now think of your two besties. One of you will statistically encounter this at some point in life. Sex helps to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. When a women orgasms, these muscles contract, which is beneficial to bladder control. Pelvic floor muscles can also be strengthened by doing Kegal exercises and using yoni eggs. When the pelvic floor is strong, it promotes stronger orgasms.
10. Oral Sex improves tooth health! Bam! I know some of you ladies will be mad at me for spilling this tea. (& possibly some men). But it is what it is..Sperm and semen contain calcium, magnesium, and zinc. Guess where else these minerals are ingredients found. In your tooth rinses and dental products.
11. Sex also reduces pain and arthritis through releasing pain-reducing hormones. Genital stimulation can also reduce menstrual cramps.
12. Sexual intercourse promotes regular periods. Having sex 1-2 times per week helps women experience small changes of the luteinizing hormone in the blood, & along with the reduction of stress can promote regular more controlled periods.
13. Sex reduces insomnia and promotes good sleep. During and after sex the brain releases hormones norepinephrine, serotonin, oxytocin and prolactin, which trigger a sense of calm, making it easier to pass out. (This explains why most men are often comatose afterward.. & why its the optimal time to ask for those gorgeous heels you saw the other day.)
14. Sex makes you look younger. It releases the hormone estrogen in men and women. This hormone improves hair and skin quality. it also has a plumping effect on the skin which helps to smooth fine lines and wrinkles.
15. Vigorous sex pumps higher levels of oxygen around the body. This increases the flow of blood and nutrients to the skin and pushes newer skin cells to the surface making the skin look healthier. Giving you that “glow“.
16. Regular intercourse has been linked to longer lifespan. Studies show that men that had more orgasms had half the death rate of those who did not ejaculate frequently.