Have you ever experienced peeling of skin after suffering from dehydration or sunburn? I bet you’ve no idea about how to stop skin peeling, and so I am here with an article to enlighten you on how to get rid of peeling skin fast.
Human skin is made of three layers called the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis. At regular intervals, the outermost layer of the skin called epidermis gets replaced with new skin.
During this time, the old skin begins to peel off and gets replaced with a new layer. However, in some cases, there may be excessive peeling in various parts of the body. This process is usually not noticeable to people.
Most people have experienced peeling skin as the skin can peel due to various reasons. Peeling skin is not a severe condition but it can cause scaly and inflamed patches of the skin followed by irritation and itchiness.
While you can’t prevent the damaged skin layer from shedding off, you can certainly try a few things to support healing and prevent irritation. Natural remedies are best at speeding up the healing process of skin peeling.
But before we dive in to find the remedies to get rid of peeling skin fast, let us first go through the reason that causes peeling skin and sunburn.
What Causes Peeling Skin and Sunburn?
Peeling of the skin can be observed when the skin is exposed to the harmful ray of the sun for a long period of time. The sun emits UV radiation that damages the skin cells, causing sunburn. After the sunburn, the skin layer begins to peel off and may flake from the exposed area.
In most of the cases, the epidermis layer of skin responds by killing the exposed skin and producing sunburn. The sunburned skin is typically painful and appears unattractive. Peeling skin is more common in people with dry skin.
Other reasons that cause the skin to peel off are as follows.
- Skin Allergy
- Eczema causes peeling of skin
- Infections of skin
- Extreme weather conditions
- Skin cancer
- Mineral and vitamins deficiency
Lack of care and required treatment can result in more infections. That’s why it is very important to follow skin protection remedies and slather on sunscreen every day before heading outdoors.
A balanced diet can help your body maintain smooth and moisturized skin. Make sure to take a diet that consists of essential proteins, fats, and carbohydrates on a required amount. Increase the intake of fruits and vegetables.
Remedies to get rid of peeling skin fast
This article can be a great help for those who want to know how to remove peeling skin from sunburn. For effective results and quick healing, here are the best home remedies that can be easily prepared from the ingredients in your kitchen cabinet.
#1 Olive Oil
Olive oil is known as an excellent skin moisturizer because it is abundant in skin-nourishing fatty acids. The fatty acids in an olive coat the dry skin and locks in moisture. It also has vitamin E to help the body get rid of free radicals.
- Take a small bowl; add two teaspoons of honey and one tablespoon of yogurt.
- Mix together the ingredients and apply this mixture to the affected skin.
- Allow the mixture to dry.
- Rinse off under cool water.
This recipe is especially good if you want to heal the burning caused by sunburn. Try to use it twice or thrice a week to get the desired result.
#2 Aloe Vera
For those wanting to know how to get rid of peeling skin fast, here is the most favorite ingredient to solving your problem. Yes, I am talking about Aloe Vera!
Aloe Vera Gel has both moisturizing and soothing properties that can help you to get rid of peeling skin. The regular use of Aloe Vera extract reduces itching, inflammation, and irritation. Here’s what you need to do with this wonderful ingredient:
- Mix a few drops of vitamin E oil with fresh aloe vera gel.
- Apply this mixture evenly over the affected area.
- Allow it to dry and then rinse with Luke warm water.
Repeat this recipe once a day for the best results.
When it is about curing the sunburned skin, Milk comes as the best healer. It is very beneficial for reducing pain, inflammation, and dealing with the nuances of peeling skin. The lactic acid in milk reduces itching and has a soothing effect.
- Soak a washcloth in a milk bottle and refrigerate it for twenty minutes.
- Put the washcloth over the affected area before wringing out excess milk.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash the skin with clean water.
For best results, repeat this process three times daily. Do
#4 Oatmeal Bath
If you hate the sight of peeling skin and want to know how to get rid of peeling skin after sunburn, try taking an Oatmeal Bath. Oatmeal is helpful in relieving the irritation and itching associated with the peeling skin.
- To a bathtub filled with warm water, stir one cup of oatmeal.
- Let your body get soaked in bath water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse under running water and pat dries your body using a clean towel.
- Follow up with a gentle moisturizer on your skin.
Oatmeal has soothing properties that can help the skin return to its natural state.
#5 Sugar Scrub and Lemon
Sugar and Lemon work as a natural scrub for your skin. As an astringent, the lemon can dissolve the dead skin cells; reduce inflammation, and peeling of the skin.
- Mix together half tablespoons of lemon juice, and three tablespoons of sugar.
- To this mixture, add one teaspoon of olive oil and honey.
- Apply this mixture on your skin by rubbing in circular motions for a minute.
- Rinse off under running water.
- Repeat this once or twice a week.
Both lemon and sugar has soothing and healing properties that are good for the skin.
Cucumber contains lots of water to hydrate the skin and works as a natural astringent. Apart from having lots of vitamins, it also has cooling effects to helps alleviate itching and irritation.
- Grate one cucumber in a bowl and make a fine paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected skin and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Let your skin soak the nutrients.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
The vitamins in cucumber can facilitate skin repair and reduce sunburn.
Honey is an excellent ingredient that is known for rejuvenating the peeling skin. It contains water, oil, fructose, enzymes, and oils that make it an excellent skin moisturizer.
- Rub a few drops of honey on the peeling skin.
- Leave it one for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with the lukewarm water.
- Repeat this thrice a day for the best results.
Honey is also known for reducing the irritation and itchiness associated with the peeling skin.
#8 Coconut Oil
The coconut oil is considered one of the best remedies for getting rid of peeling skin. It has an abundance of skin-nourishing minerals and fatty acids. The fatty acids in coconut oil work as an excellent skin healer and moisturizer.
- Warm some virgin coconut oil in a pan.
- Rub it on the sunburned skin area.
- Gently massage the oil so that your skin absorbs the essential nutrients.
- Follow this remedy thrice a day to get a good result.
Coconut oil also has antioxidant properties to help reduce irritation and itching.
Mint is one of the most beneficial ingredients that support treating the peeling skin. It is known to exhibit a calming effect on the inflamed skin.
- Extract the mint juices from the mint leaves.
- Directly apply it to the affected skin.
- Leave overnight and rinse off in the morning.
- Apply a light moisturizer.
Mint helps moisturize the dry skin and keep it rejuvenated and refreshed with regular use.
The trace elements, powerful enzymes, minerals, and acids in yogurt make it the best ingredient in the treatment of peeling skin. It also acts as a natural moisturizer for flaky, dry, and peeling skin.
- Mix one tablespoons of honey with one tablespoon of yogurt.
- To this mixture, add the pulp of banana and make a paste.
- Apply it evenly to the affected skin.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Banana has essential vitamins and minerals that can relieve the painful inflammation of sunburn. The pulp of ripe banana and yogurt has been used for sunburn since the old days.
- To a small bowl, add two teaspoons of the pulp of a ripe banana and yogurt.
- Mix together the ingredients and apply this mixture on the sunburned skin.
- Allow the mixture to dry.
- Rinse off under cool water.
Try to use it twice daily to get the desired result.
#12 Turmeric and Sandalwood powder
Sandalwood powder has long been used in the skincare regimen. It is an excellent toner and healer that rejuvenate the peeling skin. Turmeric, on the other hand, has healing properties that make it a great skin product.
- Mix together one teaspoon of turmeric powder and sandalwood powder.
- Add two tablespoons of honey and make a fine paste.
- Apply this mixture to the peeled surface.
- Leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes.
Rinse off with lukewarm water, towel dry your skin and apply a gentle moisturizer. Follow this remedy three times daily to make your skin supple and soft.
Papaya is an excellent antioxidant known for having anti-inflammatory properties as well.
- Take papaya, slice it into pieces, and mash them.
- Apply it to the affected area.
- Leave it on for half an hour.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
If you are applying the mashed papaya on your foot, be sure to cover the skin after the application.
#14 Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is one of the most effective ingredients for healing sunburns, skin blisters, and painful inflammations. It is an easy way to get rid of the sunburned and peeling skin.
- Take some drops of sesame oil in your hands.
- Apply it directly to the affected skin.
- Leave it on for ten minutes.
- Wash it with warm water.
Repeat the process thrice a day for the best results.
#15 Almond Oil
The beneficial effect of almonds is availed with the oils extracted from it. Its specialty is its goodness in providing nutrients important for nourishing the skin. They are rich in magnesium, fiber proteins, and fatty acids. Here’s how you can use Almond for getting rid of peeling skin.
- Soak 10 almonds overnight
- Make a fine paste the next day.
- Apply this paste to the affected skin.
- Let your skin absorb the nutrients
- Rinse off after 30 minutes
Almond is one of the best sources of vitamin E, and the almond face pack comes with the benefits of nourishing skin, reducing the signs of aging, and healing the inflamed skin.
Important tips to protect skin from sunburn
- Avoid the urge to tear or scratch the peeling skin.
- Always use a moisturizing lotion before going to bed.
- On the peeling parts, apply an antibacterial ointment.
- Avoid chemical loaded skincare products.
- Seek advice from a dermatologist about proper skincare.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day, keep your skin hydrated.
- Take cold showers, it will relieve itching.
- Avoid taking hot baths.
- Do not scratch your skin forcefully.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and wear sunscreen.
Now that you know how to get rid of peeling skin fast, it’s high time you choose the best recipe and start following it. The peeling of the skin is also related to our diet. So, it is important to maintain a healthy diet.
The best way to prevent the peeling skin and sunburns is to avoid the overexposure to the sun and keeping your skin slathered with 30 SPF sunscreen.
Although most sunburn can be healed by using these natural remedies and simple home care, severe burns may require immediate medical attention. If you experience skin peeling that leads to the formation of blisters, see your doctor as soon as possible.