1. Triceps Kickback
This is the most-recommended and popular arm-shaping exercise, and quite easy to do.
- Pick a dumbbell weighing around 1-2 kg (or even a 1-2 litre water bottle).
- Stand with your feet parted, as wide as your shoulders.
- Bend forward, so that your back is parallel to the ground.
- Hold the dumbbells under your shoulder, just at the side of your chest.
- Suck-in your stomach and pull away the weight behind you, until your upper arm seems parallel to the ground.
- Slowly, bring the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- This is one complete repetition or “rep” as it is commonly called. Do three sets of 15 reps, three times a week to see results.
2. Shoulder press
- Grab a pair of 1-2 kg dumbbells.
- Stand straight with your legs parted the same way as for triceps kickbacks.
- Hold each dumbbell in your arm with your palms facing front.
- Lift both arms at shoulder level, hold for 2-3 seconds, and then raise them above your head.
- Avoid giving jerks. Bring back to the shoulder level, and repeat.
- Do three sets of 15 reps, three times a week for best results.
3. Inverted Row
- Lie down flat under a firmly positioned rod/bar. This is easily available in the gym. Else, you can use the bar below your bed, or tie a strong and thick nylon rope at two ends in your room. Just make sure that it is very strong and tightly tied.
- Bend your knees to 90 degrees, keeping your feet on the floor.
- Hold the bar/rope, and lift yourself up slowly while breathing in, till your chest almost touches it.
- Slowly go back to the original position while breathing out.
- Do three sets of 15 reps, twice a week.