Cabbage soup diet is known to be an efficient and fast weight loss technique which was originated back in the 1950s. Most of the sources and claim that this wonderful diet can help you shed up to 10 pounds in just a week.
Cabbage soup diet recipe, as the name suggests, is primarily made up of cabbage, either raw or steamed. There are a limited number of foods which can be taken along with the soup but their combination sits well on the taste buds of our mouth. The soup can be taken five times a day.
This diet is very good in losing some weight quickly for an upcoming event or motivating yourself to follow a balanced weight loss plan. Cabbage soup diet is not a primary diet or even a long term diet. It is unable to provide all the nutrients required by the body on its own.
Since the diet can offer only 1000 calories a day, which is very less than the recommended 2000 calories, the weight comes down very quickly. It’s because of the low fat and high fiber content of the diet which gets rid of the water weight stored in the body.
Following a diet which does not have attractive or even slightly appealing dishes is very tough. Half the body’s interest in eating the food is based on how good does the food looks. Here are some recipes which not only make the soup taste delicious, but also looks good from the outside.
- Take a large pot with 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- After the oil warms up a bit, add a cup of some vegetables like carrots, peppers, celery, and onions into the pot.
- Sauté the vegetables until they become a little tender and then add some crushed garlic.
- After a minute of light sauté, pour four cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth into the mixture.
- Chop half a cabbage along with tomatoes and add them to the soup.
- Let the soup come up to a boil before reducing the heat.
- Add a mixture of herbs like basil, oregano, pepper flakes, and salt. Salt is optional.
- Taste the soup and do the required adjustments before serving.
- Add a little olive oil with some basil leaves, oregano, and other spices. Put the mixture in the freezer for ten minutes.
- Blend the leaves and oil mixture very finely.
- Heat a big pot over medium heat and pour a little olive oil mix in it.
- Add a chopped small cabbage or half a cabbage with 3 chopped carrots, 5 stalks of celery, fennel, and ground pepper with some vegetable stock to the pot.
- The dish takes 5-7 minutes to boil but should be boiled again for 2-3 minutes before serving the next time.
- Pour some cooking oil into a pot.
- Add a spice mix of a cinnamon stick, 2-star anise, 4 cloves, and curry powder.
- Stir the spices until a strong smell starts coming.
- Add a chopped onion with a couple of garlic and stir the pot slowly until the onion turns translucent.
- Put in a small chopped cabbage along with some tomatoes and cauliflowers, chopped into bite size pieces and add water enough to cover the vegetables.
- Let the soup boil for 15 minutes or until the vegetables become soft enough for your liking.
- Sprinkle some pepper over the top before serving.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a pot.
- Add 2 cloves of garlic and two cans of tomatoes into the water. A bunch of finely chopped cilantro can also be added to the water.
- Let the water again come to a boil.
- Add a half chopped cabbage with a 15 oz. can of black beans.
- Heat the mixture until the beans soften up a bit and the soup starts tasting delicious.
- Chop a small cabbage, 2 carrots, and some spinach into medium pieces.
- Dice 3 zucchinis into small pieces.
- Make a mixture of tomato paste, a teaspoon basil, a teaspoon black pepper, some low sodium vegetable juice and a clove of crushed and minced garlic.
- Boil some water enough to submerge the vegetables.
- Put all the ingredients into the water and the soup cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with chopped parsley or chives.
- Chop a green pepper, 6 stalks celery, onion, and a whole cabbage into small pieces.
- Take a pan and pour some olive oil in it. Heat the pan for a moment.
- Add the onions and sauté them until the onions start sweating.
- Add the celery and pepper to the mix and stir the whole mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Time to put the liquid ingredients. Pour in some water along with low sodium V-8 juice, a can of tomatoes, hot sauce and a bouillon cube.
- On low heat, let the soup boil for 15 minutes.
- Throw the cabbage in the mixture. Putting cabbage in the last stage preserves its nutritional values. Cook the soup for an additional 10 minutes before serving.
- In a large pot, place 5 chopped carrots, 3 onions, 2 cans peeled tomato paste, cabbage chopped according to need.
- Some green beans, bell peppers, and celery can also be added to the soup mix.
- Oil is not required for this dish, making it even healthier.
- Add some dry spices along with a paste of tomato juice and onion soup mix.
- Beef broth is essential for this recipe. A mixture of beef broth and water can be added if the taste is very dominating.
- Let the soup simmer for some time until the vegetables become soft and tender.
- This soup can be refrigerated for several days.
Benefits of Cabbage Soup Diet
In terms of short term benefits from a diet, cabbage soup diet is becoming the one to beat. Not only does it shed water weight very quickly, it is very cheap and can be both vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Some other benefits of the wondrous, Cabbage soup diet are:
- Although the cabbage soup diet doesn’t provide the body with enough calories, it contains a substantial amount of nutrients and fibers required by the body. Per 100 grams, a cabbage provides 20 grams of calories. If paired efficiently with fruits, vegetables, dairy products and meat, the diet can help you to lose a lot of water weight quickly.
- This diet is very useful for losing weight quickly and getting back in shape for some special occasions like weddings. It can burn about 10 pounds in only seven days.
- The cabbage soup diet is one of the least demanding diets. It doesn’t require any special techniques, dosage or way to use. There is no limit on eating so you don’t have to fill the time in between meals with fillers like snacks, nutritional bars, diet pills, or shakes. It is also very cheap as the only thing this diet requires is a cabbage.
- In the initial stages of this diet, a person may feel weak, famished and tired due to the sudden decrease in calorie intake, but by the end of the week the diet starts feeling right and the person is rejuvenated with a new boost of energy which is very clean and healthy.
Precautions To Take
Carelessness in anything can cause harm. On the outside, this super easy vegetarian cabbage soup diet might look totally harmless but there are some things which must be taken care of during the dieting period on this diet too.
- This diet is not supposed to make you feel hungry at any moment. You can drink the soup as much as you like and it is recommended that way. Starving is not a good idea in this diet. If you are feeling hungry, stir up a new batch of soup and drink it.
- Salt is the friend of water weight. It helps the body in retaining water weight. That’s why salt should not be added to these soups. Not to the veggies, or the proteins, or the soup. Avoid salt as much as possible.
- Although the diet gets rid of the water weight, drinking water regularly is very important for this diet. Drink 8-10 cups of water every day for a week.
- There are not a lot of ingredients which can effectively substitute something already on the recipe. The nutritional values are different for ingredients and their effect on the overall diet is different also. If there is something that you don’t like the cabbage soup diet or something that you can’t eat, then you should consult your doctor before trying to replace it with something else.
Myths and Facts of Cabbage Soup Diet
- You can consume food in a limited quantity only
The Cabbage soup diet is unlike many other diets which force the user to starve. The cabbage soup diet is very healthy and fulfilling in its approach and you can take the soup five times a day or even more depending on the hunger.
- You get a slim body after using the Cabbage soup diet
Cabbage soup diet works only against the stored water weight in our body. It is a very effective diet which rids the body of any excess water weight in just a week. It is not linked with or much capable of fat loss of the body. The lost water weight is very easy to regain if some sort of balance is not maintained. Change in the body will depend on what you do after the diet.
- Drinking Alcohol is fine during the diet
Alcohol contains a substance called acetate which is formed by synthesis in the liver. Acetate restricts the body’s ability to burn calories and fat at a fast pace, a thing cabbage soup diet is famous for. Although alcohol doesn’t contain many calories and should come under the category of water weight, it is not advised during the soup diet.
FAQs for Cabbage Soup Diet
- Can I substitute what I don’t like with anything else?
It is not recommended to stray from the set diet plan but that is not always the case with this diet. It provides a little room for flexibility as long as the substitutes are healthy and a worthy replacement. You can replace water with chicken broth or vegetable stock to change the flavor and it will not change the final result.
- How long can I continue this diet?
This diet is highly recommended as a one-week diet only. The main focus of this diet is to lose the water weight quickly. If the diet is continued beyond a week, the body will refuse the diet by starting to hold on to the weight. It is advised that starting a balanced diet with low carbs and sugar after this diet is more beneficial to the body rather than continuing the same diet.
- Is exercising during the diet a good idea?
Absolutely not. The cabbage soup diet already leaves the body short of calories even without doing anything and eating all day. Although exercise burns calories and fat leaving a fit and toned body, in this case, it can harm the body.
- How to stop gaining weight after the diet?
The cabbage soup diet acts against the stored water weight in the body. Due to the low supply of calories and high intake of fiber, the body loses water weight very quickly. After the diet period is over it is likely that the water weight will return, bloating the stomach again. Drinking lots of water after the diet week is highly recommended in maintaining the achieved shape. Get rid of carbs and sugars and try to eat some fruits and veggies in quick successions.