With age, the skin loses its elasticity, due to loss of collagen, which in turn causes the skin around the neck and chin to sag. Weight gain and obesity are some other factors causing fat accumulation under the skin. The human neck contains two major muscles called the sternocleidomastoid and platysma, it is, therefore, necessary to tone these two muscles because it promotes skin tightening. Surgical procedures are available for removal of a double chin (also known as submental fat), although, these procedures can get quite expensive. Through various home remedies and exercises listed in this article, you can get rid of this within a time frame of a few months.
Causes of Double Chin
Age: From the age of 20-25 skin under the chin starts losing its elasticity. This kind of fat is not something that one can always control. It is very natural that with age, muscles start losing their elasticity which in turn causes the skin to sag.
Weight: Weight gain and fat accumulation are another reason causing double chin. Unhealthy eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle are two major causes of weight gain. The fat deposit also causes the skin to lose its natural elasticity and thus causing it to bulge.
Genetics: Genetics is another factor which causes submental fat. The genes that cause the formation of a double chin deal with water retention capacity of the skin. These genes also affect the body’s fat storage capacity.
In order to avoid expensive and time-consuming surgical procedures for double chin removal, it is always a good option to adopt simple home remedies. Below are 10 home remedies that help solve the double chin problem.
Glycerin is used in a wide range of beauty products. It has properties that moisturize and hydrate the skin. Glycerin is also a great skin cleanser, aiding in the removal of blackheads, acne, and dirt. The outermost layer of the skin, called the stratum corneum, have keratinized cells. Glycerin protects the stratum corneum shielding it from dehydration and infection.
- 1 tablespoon glycerin
- ½ tablespoon Epsom Salt
- Mix 1 tablespoon of glycerin with ½ tablespoon of Epsom salt. Mix it so that a thick paste consistency is acquired.
- Apply this paste to the chin and submental region.
- Leave this paste on your skin for about 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse your face with cold water afterward.
- Repeat this procedure daily for effective results.
Cocoa Butter is another great skin moisturizer, rich with antioxidants and anti-ageing properties. The presence of fatty acids in cocoa butter is what makes it such an efficient skin moisturizer. Its antioxidant properties rejuvenate the skin, clearing off free radicals. The presence of antioxidants also boosts anti-ageing properties allowing the skin to retain its tightness and elastic features.
- 2-3 teaspoons of cocoa butter
- Heat 3 teaspoons of cocoa butter making sure it doesn’t burn.
- Apply cocoa butter all over the chin and lower neck.
- Massage the neck for about 10-15 minutes with this mixture.
- Repeat this daily for good results.
Egg whites are full of proteins that help tighten skin. It is an amazing natural remedy for skin sagging caused by submental fat formation. It acts a natural face lift agent and tightens skin pores.
- Egg whites of 1-2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon peppermint essential oil
- Mix the egg whites of 2 eggs with the listed ingredients.
- Apply this mixture to the chin and submental region.
- Leave it on for 15-30 minutes so that it dries.
- Rinse your face properly afterward.
- Use this remedy 3-4 times a week for 1 month for effective results.
Wheat Germ Oil
Wheat germ oil is full of minerals such as Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, and Phosphorus. These mineral have anti-aging and regenerative properties. It helps tighten the skin and prevents it from sagging and protrusion.
- 1-2 tablespoons of wheat germ oil
- Apply wheat germ oil to your chin.
- Massage the chin with your hands upwards from the neck.
- Until you observe any significant changes, apply white germ oil regularly.
Milk is great not only for the skin but for your health as well. It is packed with essential nutrients. The presence of calcium and vitamins, especially, vitamin D promotes collagen production, therefore improving skin elasticity. Other than that, milk also contains nutrients such as selenium, which clears the skin of any free radicals as well as providing anti- aging properties. Milk also contains various other nutrients such as proteins, vitamin A, vitamin B and etc.
- 4-5 tablespoons of raw milk
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey
- Mix 5 tablespoons of raw milk with 2 tablespoons of honey thoroughly.
- Apply this solution to your chin.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes allowing it to dry.
- Rinse your chin afterward with lukewarm water.
Melons have three essential properties: it is an antioxidant and also has anti-inflammatory and anti-aging features. It consists of various minerals and vitamins. The presence of vitamin A in melons gives it its antioxidant property. The presence of vitamin B, alternatively, improves skin tone. Since melons are also 95% water, it is a great moisturizer and rejuvenates skin tissues by keeping them hydrated.
- 3-4 pieces of melon
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- Blend 3-4 pieces of melon in a blender making sure there are no lumps.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of milk to the melon blend and mix it well.
- Apply this solution all over the chin and neck.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes allowing it to dry.
- Rinse your face off with cold water afterward.
- Repeat these steps daily for effective results.
Vitamin E has a long list of skin beneficial properties. It is a natural skin tightening agent, it has antioxidants and anti-aging properties, it is also a very effective skin moisturizer. It may cure sunburns too, and thus, has healing properties as well.
- Vitamin E oil/capsule
- Apply Vitamin E oil to your chin.
- Massage the chin with your hands upwards from the neck.
- For best results repeat daily
Green tea is one of the most popular antioxidants. It also has anti-inflammatory properties preventing the skin from aging and it aids in the cleansing of any germs and bacteria.
- Green Tea
- Brew yourself some green tea and drink it every day. In general, you should drink green tea every day as it has great health implications and is a very potent antioxidant.
The presence of levomenol in chamomile gives it anti-inflammatory properties, which in turn helps skin retain its elasticity. Chamomile is also a good moisturizer that keeps skin healthy and well hydrated.
- 1-2 tablespoons of Chamomile essential oil
- Directly apply 2 tablespoons of chamomile to your chin and submental region.
- Massage gently moving upwards from the neck.
- Repeat twice daily for best results.
Chewing gum (sugar-free) can be very helpful for double chin removal. Simply chewing gum several times a day as an exercise tones muscles of the face and jaw. This, in turn, burns fat around the chin and submental region.
The skin around the neck becomes saggy and protruded with a sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle. Through various simple and easy exercises, you can help reduce accumulation of fat tissue under the chin. Neck specific exercises are great when it comes to losing submental fat. However, it is important to note, that neck specific exercises are not enough. You need to introduce cardio and strength training to your workout regime, as double chin fat is quite stubborn and takes a lot of effort to shed. A daily 15-20 minute exercise routine can work miracles in the case of submental fat. Below are a few effective exercises:
One – Sided Neck Roll
Step 1: Lower your head and chin forwards towards your chest.
Step 2: Now rotate your head to the left slowly, making sure you feel the stretch in muscles. Hold this position for a few seconds, preferably 5 seconds.
Step 3: Come back to resting position, which is the chin facing downwards towards the chest.
Step 4: Again rotate your head and neck, but now towards the right in a similar fashion and hold.
Step 5: Repeat these rotations for a good 1-2 minutes every day for substantial results.
Step 1: Tilt your head backward and look up so that you are facing the ceiling.
Step 2: Then, stretch your lower jaw forwards making sure you feel the stretch in the muscles.
Step 3: Hold this position for about 5-10 seconds.
Step 4: Return to the original position by relaxing your jaw.
Step 5: Repeat this exercise for 2 minutes daily for best results.
Step 1: Keep your face straight, facing forward.
Step 2: Open your mouth fully and stretch your tongue out as far as possible.
Step 3: Hold this position for 10 seconds.
Step 4: Pull your tongue back in and return to the neutral position
Step 5: Repeat this exercise for 1 minute daily.
Kissing the Ceiling
Step 1: Tilt your head backward so as to face the ceiling.
Step 2: Pinch your lips together in a way so that you are ‘kissing the ceiling’.
Step 3: Hold this position for a few seconds (5-10 seconds)
Step 4: Come back to normal position and repeat.
Step 5: Do this exercise for 2-3 minutes daily.
Step 1: Look front while keeping your head straight and gently punch the lower chin with a fist in an upward direction.
Step 2: Keep punching your chin making sure you maintain a constant pace for 30 seconds.
Step 3: Repeat this exercise regularly for 1 minute.
Step 1: On your back lie down on your bed straight.
Step 2: Lie down in a manner so that only your head is hanging from the bed.
Step 3: Afterwards, lift your head up slowly and towards your chest, make sure your back and shoulders are flat against the bed.
Step 4: Hold this position for 10 seconds and then return to the original position where your head is hanging off the bed.
Step 5: Repeat this exercise for a few minutes.
Step 1: Rotate your head in a circular motion keeping a slow and steady pace.
Step 2: Rotate your head for 30 seconds, alternating between clockwise and anti-clockwise rotations, giving a 10-15 second break after every 30-second set.
Step 3: Repeat this exercise for 2-3 minutes regularly.
Pout and Tilt
Step 1: Stand straight, keeping your spine erect and facing forward.
Step 2: Protrude your lower lip as far as possible. To check if your doing it right check the chin as it will feel wrinkly.
Step 3: Keeping this lower lip protrusion, slowly tilt your head downwards so as it touches your chest.
Step 4: Hold this position for a few seconds and then return back to the normal position.
Step 5: Repeat this exercise 20 times. You may increase the number of sets as per your wish.
- Keep yourself well hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Avoid junk foods, sugars, and fatty meals as they promote fat accumulation. Try including more wholesome foods such as fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Maintain a straight and erect posture always. As leaning forwards etc. causes unnecessary folding of the skin.
- Many health conditions such as thyroid, swelling in the neck, sinus and etc. give the appearance of a double chin. Make sure you seek medical advice if the skin in the submental region suddenly appears saggy.
- Avoid excess alcohol intake and smoking as they cause the skin to lose its elasticity and promote fat deposition.
- While doing the various chin exercises make sure you are gentle as you don’t want to damage your muscles.
|Are neck specific exercises enough for removal of this?||No, it is not enough. This fat is quite stubborn and requires some extra attention. Cardiovascular exercises such as cycling, running and swimming aid in burning subcutaneous fat and also improve blood circulation to the muscles. Strength training on the other hand helps muscles retain its elasticity by toning them and thus preventing them from sagging.|
|Why is fat around this is so stubborn?||All kind of subcutaneous fats are stubborn. Fat in this part of body is not caused by only weight issues; genetics also plays a role when it comes to the causes of submental fat.|
|Does chewing gum really help with getting rid of sfat around this area?||Chewing gum does make the platysma muscle stronger and can help skin regain and retain its elasticity. However, it is advised to include other rigorous exercise to your regime for effective results.|
|What happens during a submental fat surgery?||The procedure includes removal of fat from the submental region and shortening of muscles under the jaw.|