What is weight loss?
Weight loss is the loss of body mass of a person due to the reduction of body fat, fluid content, adipose tissue, muscles, tendons, etc. A person may lose weight either intentionally or unintentionally.
Unintentional weight loss can take place due to a disease, malnutrition, stress, exertion, etc. Intentional weight loss is practiced my individuals in order to get rid of obesity.
Obesity has become a common problem nowadays and it is the root cause of various other diseases and complications.
Benefits of coconut oil for weight loss
Coconut oil is different from various other oils that mostly contribute to weight gain. Coconut oil consists of medium sized chains of fatty acids that are easier to break and make use of. These medium sized chains of fatty acids go directly to the liver and are either used as an energy source or broken down into ketone bodies.
Here are some benefits of using Coconut oil for weight loss:
- Because of the presence of medium sized chains of fatty acids, it is easy to digest and does not accumulate in the body.
- This oil improves the metabolism of the body and this leads to lower accumulation of fat in the body and all the organ systems perform their function more efficiently.
- Simply by including coconut oil in your diet, you can lose excess body fat, especially ‘abdominal’ fat that is not good for your health.
- Coconut oil elevates the level of energy expenditure by our body that leads to loss of calories by our body. Consumption of one to two spoons of coconut oil can help in reducing 120 calories per day.
- Coconut oil causes a reduction in our appetite. Studies have shown that consumption of medium sized chains of fatty acids leads to a feeling of fullness and we do not feel hungry for a long time. This results into a reduction in the calorie intake by our body.
- Coconut oil reduces the risk of heart diseases in people as it maintains the cholesterol levels.
Coconut oil weight loss – How to use it?
There is a proper way to do everything. Discussed below are some points that explain how to properly use coconut oil for weight loss:
- Simply melt one to two tablespoons of coconut oil and then consume it 20 minutes before a meal. This will help you lose your appetite and you will automatically eat less because you will be feeling fuller.
- People having the weight between 40-58 Kg should consume 1 tablespoon of coconut oil before every meal, i.e. 3 tablespoons of oil daily.
- People who weigh between 59-81 Kg should consume 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil before every meal, i.e. 4.5 tablespoons of oil daily.
- People weighing 81 Kg or more should consume 2 tablespoons of coconut oil before every meal, i.e. 6 tablespoons of oil per day.
- You can also consume hardened coconut oil and let it melt in your mouth before consuming it.
- Coconut oil capsules are also available in the market if you would prefer to consume Coconut oil indirectly.
Tips to select best coconut oil for weight loss
Not all coconut oils help in reducing weight. This is a very important point that needs to be kept in mind. Highly processed coconut oil contains a number of chemicals and also some of the major components of coconut oil are lost during the process of extracting the oil using harmful chemicals.
Only Organic Virgin Coconut oil should be used as an agent for weight loss. It is free from chemicals and contains important and delicate micronutrients that are beneficial for us.
- If excess of Coconut oil is consumed, it leads to more accumulation of fat instead of weight loss. This may also cause a huge loss of appetite. This would lead us to consume fewer calories, making us deficient in energy and various essential nutrients and minerals. Sometimes, when excess oil is consumed, one may feel nauseated and sick.
- Coconut oil should be consumed according to our weight
- Hydrogenated Coconut Oil should be avoided. It has the ability to cause heart diseases.
Que. All oils contain fats, then how can coconut oil help in reduction of fat?
Ans. Generally, oils contain long-chained fatty acids that are hard to break and digest, so they accumulate in the body as fat. In contrast, Coconut oil has medium sized chains of fatty acids that are a good source of energy for the body and can be broken down easily.
Que. Is coconut oil high in cholesterol?
Ans. Coconut oil being a vegetable oil does not contain any cholesterol. Cholesterol can be found in animal fats and in dairy products.
Que. Will heating of Virgin Coconut oil turn it into hydrogenated oil?
Ans. Hydrogenation is a process that is carried out in factories under special conditions. It is not something that can be carried out at home. Coconut oil cannot get hydrogenated by simply heating it at home.
Que. Does coconut virgin oil get denatured by heating it at cooking temperatures?
Ans. No, Coconut virgin oil does not get denatured when used in cooking because the fatty acid that is present in virgin coconut oil has a higher level of resistance to heat. It is safe to use virgin coconut oil as cooking oil.
Que. What is the right time to consume coconut oil for weight loss?
Ans. Coconut oil must be consumed 20-30 minutes before a meal so that it causes a loss of appetite and you eat less. As a result, you cut down calorie intake and lose weight at a fast pace.
Que. Who can consume coconut virgin oil?
Ans. Coconut virgin oil is considered as just another ‘oil’ or sometimes as a ‘medicine’ by some people. People miss out on the fact that coconut oil is actually a ‘food’ and can be consumed by anyone in the recommended safe amounts.