According to researchers, acupressure can be used to put pressure on trigger points in the body to restore the balance of energy and relieve it of its pain. It helps you relieve all a headache without too much time investment, effectively.
The root cause of most headaches are underlying anxiety, stress, depression or even sleep trouble, acupressure helps heal your body from within. Here are a few acupressure points to relieve a headache:
The Gallbladder Channel
The gallbladder channel GB20 is behind both sides of your sternocleidomastoid muscle and is targeted for most headaches including migraines.
- Your sternocleidomastoid muscle runs at the center of your neck, upwards towards the head.
- The two hard, bony structures at its side are the gallbladder channel GB20. They are located right behind your ears. The bony structure is the exact points.
- Apply medium pressure on these points with your thumb.
- At the same time use the other four fingers of both hands, to hold your forehead from both sides.
- Apply almost equal pressure on both sides of the head.
The Triple Energizer Point
The Triple Energizer point or TE3 helps reduce temporal headaches. It is also known to help with upper back, neck and shoulder pain.
- To find it, feel the groove behind your knuckles.
- Identify the groove between your little finger and ring finger.
- Apply slight pressure.
The Governor Vessel
The governor vessel or GV20 helps you in strengthening the back, helps you focus, eases the pain, soothes your nervousness or anxiety and helps you clear your head. In turn, helps you get rid of anxiety related headache/migraine.
- Locate this point by finding the top of your head, starting from the front hairline.
- Move towards the vertex of the head at the back.
- Massage all the way through this strip on your head.
The BL2 Pressure Point
The BL2 pressure point is used for treating headaches and is especially helpful for those with sinus headaches.
- The pressure point is located at the point above the bridge of your nose, near the inner end of your eyebrows.
- Massage this point with your index finger and thumb using a firm grip.
The Gallbladder Channel GB21
Apart from the GB20 mentioned earlier, this pressure point is used for tension headaches. It eases a headache along with neck stiffness, stress, and tension in the shoulders.
- To find it, feel for the points on your shoulder which are midway between your spinal cord and rotator cuff.
- Massage those points by applying medium pressure to it.
- Do this for 10 minutes at least to help with a headache and neck stiffness.
The Urinary Bladder Channel
The urinary bladder channel or UB10 helps people who suffer from chronic headaches, especially tension headache. These points help ease fatigue, tiredness, stress and help improve alertness.
- Locate the nape of your neck.
- The two points on both sides of it are to be located using the thumb.
- Use your thumb to apply pressure to these points for approximately 5-10 minutes.
Here are a few ways to relieve a headache the fuss-free and no stress way using acupressure.