The common cold, flu, and other respiratory conditions happen due to a cough that keeps you awake in the night and thereby limiting your ability to easily breathe. Many people suffer from cold and cough regularly and as it is a viral disease, people catch it very easily.
There are several oils which can help you ease the cold and the cough because they have certain antiviral, antispasmodic, and antibacterial properties. These essential oils will directly address the issue creating the cough. One of the essential oils useful against cold and cough is eucalyptus oil.
How to use eucalyptus oil for cold and cough?
There are multiple ways through which you eucalyptus oil to treat your cold and cough. They are steaming, bath salt and inhalation.
- In this method, you are required to inhale the eucalyptus oil.
- For this, take a handkerchief and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil on it.
- Smell this handkerchief throughout the day.
- In this method take a bowl and add some water it.
- Start the flame and let the water boil for few minutes.
- Now, add few drops of the eucalyptus oil and turn off the heat.
- Take a towel and drape it around your head as well as the bowl.
- Now when the water is boiled inhale the steam that is coming out of it.
- Do this process for few minutes.
- In this method, take about five drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 1 cup of Epsom salt.
- Mix both the ingredients in a container and blend it properly.
- Now, take a small container which is airtight and store this salt.
- Whenever you go for a bath take 2-3 tablespoon of this bath salt.
- Now when you are bathing, breathe the salt added into the water and relax.
- There will be a lot of improvement you will notice with your cough and cold.
Benefits of eucalyptus oil:
- Eucalyptus oil contains various properties such as antiseptic and antibiotic.
- Eucalyptus oil eases the pain which is experienced by the body by soothing the inflamed mucous membranes.
- It is also a well-admired expectorant and is known to decongest the lungs.
- Eucalyptus oil has anti-inflammatory properties which can help in opening the airways in the throat and nose.
- With the help of eucalyptus oil, you can breathe easily and it can also loosen up the congestion because it contains expectorant and antibacterial properties.
- Further, eucalyptus oil also dilates the blood vessels which allows the increase in the amount of oxygen to the lungs.
- This can be helpful when you are having some trouble with the breath because of constantly coughing.
- As eucalyptus oil works as an expectorant, it can help in cleaning the body of microorganisms and toxins. These are responsible for making you sick.
- Additionally, there is a major component in eucalyptus oil which is called cineole. It has certain antimicrobial effects. And it can be very resistive against various viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
Caution: Eucalyptus oil should never come in contact with the children under the age of 3 years. It can cause certain skin reactions to them.