Underarms should normally be the same shade as the rest of your skin. But sometimes, the skin in the armpits can turn darker. It is not, in any manner, a sign of something dangerous but some people find this embarrassing because it in a way discourages them from wearing sleeveless clothes as it exposes the underarms.
The skin may also itch or have a bad odor and becomes reddish in those areas. It affects both men and women of all ages. The armpit skin is very sensitive, hence the continuous usage of deodorants, waxing, shaving etc. leads to discoloration of the skin. It also occurs due to excessive sweating and dead cells accumulation in the skin.
It can be a good idea to try these natural remedies which help to restore your confidence with a normal skin tone armpits without hesitation for wearing the dresses that can expose the armpit.
- Orange peel
- Collect some of the orange peels and dry them completely in the sun for few days.
- Blend the dried peels into a powder.
- Now mix this orange peel powder with enough rosewater and milk in order to make a thick paste.
- Gently rub your armpits with the paste and allow to dry for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then rinse the area with normal water.
- Repeat this regimen for 2-3 times a week.
Orange peel is rich in Vitamin C, fiber, folate, copper and calcium. Orange peel also has a lot of exfoliating and skin lightening properties. Hence they are effectively used to lighten the dark armpits.
- Besan flour – 2 tablespoons
- Yogurt – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
- Take a bowl and in it put two tablespoons of Besan flour, one teaspoon each of yogurt and lemon juice, with a pinch of turmeric powder to make a thick paste.
- Gently apply this paste to your armpits.
- Allow it to sit for 30 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this regimen daily for two weeks to get desired results.
Gram flour is rich in zinc which reduces the infections of the skin. It also acts as a good scrub for body and helps in removing dead cells. Its cleansing properties remove the impurities from the skin and keep it clean and fresh.
- Potato – 2 slices
- Take a potato and cut it into few thin slices.
- Just take a slice of potato and keep it on your underarms.
- Then massage gently with potato slice for 3 minutes.
- After massaging wait for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat this method twice a day for good results.
Potatoes contain catecholase enzyme which acts as an outstanding natural bleaching agent to lighten the skin. Potatoes are also rich in potassium, riboflavin, iron, thiamine, magnesium, phosphorous and zinc which nourishes skin and promotes the generation of new skin cells.
- An aloe vera leaf
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Cut and open the aloe vera leaf and extract the gel.
- Gently apply this aloe vera gel on your dark armpits and allow it to sit for 10-15 mins.
- Wash it off with plain water and pat dry.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a week for better results.
Aloe vera gel contains polysaccharides which inhibit skin pigmentation and unclog the pores to remove the dead cells accumulated in your underarms. It also reduces the skin irritation because of its antibacterial property.
- Milk – 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Pour 2 tablespoons of milk in a small bowl.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to the milk.
- Mix it well and gently apply the liquid on your dark armpits.
- Let it stay for about 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat this daily for amazing results.
Milk contains vitamins and fatty acids that helps to lighten the dark armpits along with smoothing and softening the skin.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR DARK ARMPITS
- Stop shaving – Shaving thickens the hair and causes discoloration. Switch to waxing as it completely removes the hair from roots.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes – They block the way for your skin to breathe, giving rise to bacteria.
- Control your weight – Obesity leads to pigmentation, so keep an eye on your weight.
- Always use natural moisturizers – Use aloe vera or coconut oil to moisturize your underarms.
- Avoid using deodorants – They contain chemicals that lead to darkening of your underarms.
- Do not neglect bathing – Take a regular bath to avoid accumulation of sweat and bacteria.